5 Top World News Stories shared on an Online News SiteOn August 26, 2017 by Paula Antle
5 News Stories that made Headlines:
- May 2017; 150 countries were affected when computers around the world were hit by a huge ransom ware cyber attack. Malicious computer software threatens to publish a victim’s data and block access to the data unless a ransom is paid. When data is blocked, files are encrypted and inaccessible. Depending on the type of ransom ware used, a knowledgeable person can reverse the block; in more advanced cases a decryption key is needed.
- June 2017; The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant destroys the “Great Mosque of al-Nuri” in Mosul, Iraq. The Mosque was famous for its leaning minaret. The mosque underwent many renovations but was built late in the 12th century. During the “Battle of Mosul” the 850 years old mosque was blown up as well as the cylindrical portion of the minaret. Minarets are traditionally used for the call to prayer for Muslims and provide a visual focal point.
- July 2017; North Korea successfully tested an intercontinental ballistic missile for the first time, after which Russia and China urged North Korea to halt their missile and nuclear programs. The Nuclear Weapon Ban Treaty, a legally binding international agreement, towards prohibiting the owning of nuclear weapons and eventually total elimination of nuclear weapons, was voted on in July 2017. 122 countries voted in favour, 1 abstained, 1 voted against the Treaty, where 69 nations did not vote and also all Nato members did not vote.
- August 2017; Fresh sanctions against North Korea were unanimously approved by the UN Security Council which will further restrict their trading and investments.
- August 2017; Hurricane Harvey is expected to hit Texas during Friday night to the early hours of Saturday morning. Fears are mounting that it could become the worst storm, to date, to hit United States mainland, since 2005. Louisiana and Texas coastlines, stretching hundreds of miles, are directly in Hurricane Harvey’s way. A warning was issued that Harvey is already a Category3 and is rapidly intensifying.
These are only a few of the news events and stories happening around us, some of the events taking place as you read. That is ultimately the goal of a news site; providing information about current events as they unfold.